Friday, February 15, 2008

Thing #2 -- Library 2.0

I have no doubt that Library 2.0 is coming, but no one really knows what that means. My high school library has changed dramatically in the 13 years I've been here, but 13 years ago we couldn't have foreseen the ways in which we would change. Thirteen years from now, will there be databases? Will there be books? Will we still have high school libraries? No one knows. Project these questions out to 23 years in the future, and they become all the more relevant.

A great hindrance in adopting Library 2.0 is the rules that we don't create, but have to enforce. Students are not allowed to access blogs. Or Flickr, or MySpace, or most of the other tools that are talked about in conjunction with Lib 2.0. Be it CIPA or district philosophy, we do not serve students with the tools that they prefer. What will change this? When will it change? Why learn technology that I cannot serve to my students?

No comments: